Friday, January 3, 2014

Book Review: The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution

I read this book, not because I was looking for another diet, but because I have quit eating gluten and I was interested in what this author would have to say about gluten.  After I told my mom that I was going gluten free, she sent me a link with information about The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution Cookbook.  I checked that book out from the library, but also found The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution which gives more information about gluten and how this particular diet works.

Like most cookbooks, this has some great recipes that I think I will try, but also several that don't interest me at all.  The books are due back at the library today, so I think I will probably buy the Kindle version of this book.  Since cooking gluten free also involves ingredients that might not be in every kitchen, they have some helpful information on things you might need and where to find them.  Each recipe also includes information on preparation time and if the recipe is suitable for use during Phase 1 or Phase 2 of the diet.

The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution also includes a few recipes as well as shopping and cooking tips, but the important part of the book for me was the information on gluten.  Chapter 3 describes the differences between celiac disease, wheat allergy, and gluten sensitivity.  Although wheat is the problem in all three situations, how the body responds to the wheat or gluten is different.   Also, he emphasizes the importance of getting a celiac test before going gluten free, since if you aren't eating gluten the antibodies that the test is looking for will not be present.

One of the things that Dr. Agatston asserts is that if you are only gluten sensitive (and you do not have celiac disease or wheat allergy) you may be able to eat some gluten containing food.  Phase one of the diet takes out all grains.  My understanding of phase 2 is that you gradually add in small portions of certain foods determining your own body's tolerance level.  So in theory, a gluten sensitive person may not be able to eat a full order of breadsticks, but they might be able to tolerate one breadstick.  Or, they might not be able to do bread at all, but could tolerate a little flour used as a thickener in soup.  The thing I liked most about this was the emphasis on listening to your body and making smart choices based on how your body responds.

I have chosen not to do The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution program for several reasons.  First, I've already done something very similar to phase 1.  And although recent situations where I chose to consume some gluten did not have horrific results, I feel better, and it's easier to make food choices by just avoiding it entirely.  Also, The South Beach Diet is too picky for me at this stage of my life. There are too many foods that you are not supposed to eat, like butter and full fat cheese.  I don't eat much butter any way, but I would much prefer a little butter to nasty margarine.  And regular cheese tastes much better.  I think you just have to use moderation.  He also advocates using artificial sweeteners which my body does not tolerate well.

Overall, I think there is some very helpful information in this book, and I think that the diet could be helpful for some people, just not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment