Sunday, January 26, 2014

Book Review: Divergent

This is a short place-holder review.  Hopefully I will return and write something with more depth.

I've heard wonderful things about this book from a lot of different people.  I had also seen the movie trailer and was really drawn in by that.  (I think I still might go see the movie.)  And maybe, I was expecting too much.

I love the concept, but the book took 150 pages to draw me in.  I moved through the rest of the book faster, but it never became a book that I couldn't put down. With me and fiction, that is really the test of how I rate a book.  It's not about literary quality for me.  It's about what pulls me away from this world into the world of the book.  It's why I can like the books of Stephenie Meyer and Dan Brown when my writer friends can't stand them.

When I finished reading Divergent, I thought, this was OK, I guess I'll read the rest of the trilogy, but within a few hours, it just wasn't important anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment