Sunday, January 26, 2014

Book Review: Ruins

I wanted to like this book.  I really did.  I liked Pathfinder, the first book in the series.  And I've loved just about every Orson Scott Card novel I've read.  But this one just didn't do it for me.

The book started out great, with my only problem being trying to remember what had happened in the first book.  (And maybe I would like this better if I re-read Pathfinder.)  But then we reached an important moment in the book, and my brain just said, "Nope.  That ain't gonna happen."  And it was really hard to let go of that detail to enjoy the rest of the book.

Let me explain a little.  When you read a lot of science fiction and fantasy, you get used to accepting things that you wouldn't accept in everyday life.  And I had no trouble accepting the time traveling gifts of Rigg, Param, and Umbo.  But sometimes things happen and my brain just won't let me go down that path.

For example, when the new movie Hulk was introduced, I just couldn't buy that he was that big.  Sure, I could let myself believe that all the other characters had superpowers of some sort, but the CGI Hulk just seemed unrealistic to me.  And yes, I had grown up watching the Hulk being portrayed by Lou Ferrigno painted green, and I totally bought that.

In Ruins, the books from the future and the mice became my CGI Hulk.  Like in Divergent (which I also just read and didn't love) there is so much good material to work with--great characters, fabulous world building, social commentary, etc.--but it wasn't enough for me.  I won't be finishing this series either.  With so many great things on my "to-read" list, I can't justify time on things that are only semi-interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment